January 7, 2015
- P – Debilyn Molineaux (President, IIWG, Volunteers, SAI, Channels)
- P – Jeanene Louden (Treasurer, Legal/Accounting, Acting Campaigns and Actions, Acting Fundraising)
- P – Vince Lamb (Secretary and Board Development)
- P – Egberto Willies (Newsroom)
- P – Billy Sears, (Community Actions and Engagement)
- P – Tim Danahey (Public and Member Relations)
Debilyn called the meeting to order at 6:06 PM Pacific. Debilyn and Jeanene took notes for minutes (Vince has no computer tonight). Debilyn and Jeanene shared operation of the Maestro control board. Jeanene led the Board in check-ins.
Minutes – Vince is moving so the December 30, 2014 minutes are not yet ready.
Bylaws review – Debilyn led us through the changes to the Bylaws proposed by the Board Development Workgroup. The recommendations:
- Change the terms of office from two to three years, beginning with 2015 elections (provides more continuity for the organization). This has been under discussion since 2012.
- Require members be in good standing by March 31st and still in good standing at the time of the election in order to vote (allowing for informed voters).
- Move details of running the election from the Bylaws to a policy document reviewed annually by the Board Development Workgroup and approved by the Board of Directors (allows for more reasonable and flexible deadlines, set by the volunteers doing the work)
- Removes the titles of Workgroups from the Bylaws, (establishing flexibility to shift responsibilities within the Board of Directors as needed to fulfill the Coffee Party mission).
- Requires that Work Group Chairs and Elections Committee members be members in good standing.
- Adds the requirement for candidates to sign:
- 1) the Civility Pledge,
- 2) the Non Disclosure Agreement, and
- 3) the Mediation Agreement.
A motion was made to approve the Bylaws as amended. The vote was tabled for one meeting pending review by legal counsel. Directors should be prepared to revisit this motion at that time.
The procedures to comply with the proposed bylaws changes are drafted and shared for review and comment now. Directors should be prepared to vote on these procedures as soon as the legal review of the changes is complete.
Treasurer’s Report – Jeanene
The 990 (the tax return for private non profits) has been filed. YEAH. The draft financials (Profit/Loss and Balance Sheet) for the first and second quarters of this fiscal year should be available within the week. The report of the internal audit will be ready in March.
Our numbers of volunteers continue to grow. Directors were requested to contact our volunteer coordinator if workgroups identify new needs. Two requests were made at the meeting:
- for volunteers specifically interested in data base management; and
- for a Twitter Team to support the Newsroom.
- Participation is very good to date for this month’s Book Club – Unstoppable: The Emerging Left-Right Alliance to Dismantle the Corporate State by Ralph Nader. The book club broadcast will air live on Coffee Talk Radio Monday, January 26th, at 8:30 PM Eastern / 5:30 PM Pacific.
- Our petition to support a Constitutional Amendment to Reverse Citizens United has been launched. Our goal is 5,000 signatures. The campaign goal for all organizations collaborating on the petition drive is 5 Million signatures.
- Coffee Party is a convener for a rally across the street from the US Chamber of Commerce in Washington, DC on January 21, 2015, the 5th anniversary of the Citizens United decision. We agreed to take T-shirts and bumper stickers to give away to Coffee Party attendees. Debilyn is looking in to the possibility of using Coffee Party volunteers for phone banking about event in DC
- The Coffee Party 5th Birthday is January 26, 2015. Billy presented a birthday fundraising idea: Give $5 in honor of 5 years of Coffee Party OR give $10 in support of 5 more years.
- Membership Drive
- Valentine’s Day – Love Your Country, Join the Coffee Party!
- Recruit Elections Committee members
- A Monthly Event – something about civility, practice and training?
Farther out: the various workgroups are looking at:
- Bill Club (like Book Club, but “meeting” to discuss upcoming legislation and whether/how Coffee Party should participate;
- Community Support: for groups that want to meet and act in their communities; and,
The Board went into Executive Session. The Board came out of Executive Session not having made any motions.
The next meeting is scheduled for January 21, 2015 at 9pm Eastern / 6pm Pacific. Jeanene led us through check-outs.
Treasurer of the Board of Directors
Approved: January 26, 2015