Board Meeting Minutes Coffee Party USA

INCITE CIVILITY AND REASON

Month: October, 2014

September 17, 2014

by JKL

P – Debilyn Molineaux, President, Acting Volunteers and Members

P – Jeanene Louden, Treasurer, Acting Campaigns and Actions

P – Vince Lamb, Secretary

P – Tim Danahey, Public and Member Relations

A – Tonya Jefferson, Channel Partnerships

A – Cameron Michaels (Kruger), IIWG Director, Acting Development

P – Egberto Willies, Newsroom

A – Billy Sears, Local Chapters

Opening

A quorum was present. The meeting was called to order at 9:05 PM EDT. Debilyn presided and Jeanene ran the Maestro Board. Members checked in.

New Director Tim Danahey was welcomed to the Board! We all look forward to his efforts as Public and Member Relations Director. He will be able to attend the retreat.

Minutes

The August 26, 2014 minutes have been approved but not all members have signed. The September 3, 2014 minutes have been posted and are awaiting review and approval. Debilyn has added Vince as an admin to the WordPress blog so that he can post minutes.

Vince and Jeanene are to email the links to the posted minutes on WordPress so that Egberto can post them on the web page.

Board Retreat

The member survey went out today. The survey results will be available at the retreat. The agenda for the retreat has almost been finalized.

Work Group Structure

MOTION: approve the work group structure as currently drafted for a 90 day trial period after which the structure would be reviewed and revised as necessary. Moved by Jeanene, seconded by Vince, and passed unanimously (Tonya, Cameron and Billy absent).

Newsroom

Egberto reported that the work group added another blogger. Reach is still a bit down, but likes are still increasing, having reached 481,667 as of the time of the meeting.

Other updates

Vetting for the applicant for the Director for Internet Infrastructure is continuing and may be complete in time for the retreat. Cameron plans to step down when a replacement is in place.

Executive Session

The board entered executive session.  No motions were made. The board exited executive session.

Closing

Members checked out. The meeting adjourned at 9:32 PM EDT.

The next meeting of the board will convene in Denver/Boulder on September 19, 2014 through September 21, 2014 for its annual face-to-face meeting.  The next meeting of the executive committee will be Wednesday, September 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM EDT.  The conference call of the complete board will be Wednesday, October 1, 2014 at 9:00 PM EDT.

Respectfully submitted,

Vince Lamb, Coffee Party USA Board Secretary

Advertisements

September 3, 2014

by JKL

P – Debilyn Molineaux, President, Acting Volunteers and Members

P – Jeanene Louden, Treasurer, Acting Campaigns and Actions

P – Vince Lamb, Secretary

P – Tonya Jefferson, Channel Partnerships

A – Cameron Kruger, IIWG Director, Acting Development

L – Egberto Willies, Newsroom

P – Billy Sears, Local Chapters

Opening

The meeting was called to order at 9:10 PM EDT. Debilyn presided and Billy ran the Maestro Board. Members checked in.

Minutes

Vince reported that the August 12th and August 19th minutes have been approved and the August 26, 2014 minutes have been posted and are awaiting review and approval.

Board Retreat

Debilyn will share a preliminary agenda for the board retreat tomorrow. She will survey both the board members and the members about topics that they wish to include in the retreat agenda. Jeanene suggested that the privacy statement be revisited. Debilyn added the topic to “other updates.” Debilyn asked for volunteers to write the letter and member survey about the retreat. Jeanene volunteered.

Billy reported on the Indiegogo page. So far, it has raised $435 out of the $6000 goal. He also said that he’d add the privacy statement to the page. He and Debilyn reminded the board members to share the link to the page.

Treasurer’s Report

Jeanene reported that the internal audit is continuing. The August report follows.

Date 8/31/2014
Income – cash 1,674.84
Expense – cash 1,721.58
(+/-) cash -46.74
PayPal Balance 171.83
US Bank Balance 1,573.42
PayPal – USB 0.00
Total 1,745.25
A/P 250.00
Credit Card Bal 510.00
Reserve Acct Bal 0.00
NET EOM TOTAL 1,235.25*
Debt 9,100.00

Table was current as of the last day of August. Jeanene reiterated that the organization needs $2000/month income to meet expenses.

Work Group Structure

Debilyn led a discussion of the second draft of the workgroup structure. She noted that the names of the work groups are in the organization’s Bylaws, so formally changing the names of the work groups would require a change in our Bylaws. She also raised the issue of the balance between the Coffee Party being a decentralized grassroots organization and the Coffee Party being a more centralized hierarchical organization.

Egberto checked in briefly and then left during this section of the meeting.

Debilyn polled the Board: should we tweak the current draft or completely rewrite it. The Directors unanimously voted to tweak it. Debilyn asked for members to review and submit comments by Saturday so that the changes can be approved at the next meeting.

Local Outreach

Billy posted a report in the agenda.  DVDs have been ordered for Coffee Party Movie Night and the first email has already gone out. $120 has already been  raised  from DVDs.  The Local Organizing monthly call has been scheduled for September 14th.  He invited Directors to visit the Coffee Party page on PopVox to learn about the tools and services PopVox provides free of charge.  He also wanted the Board to investigate Goodsearch, an ancillary fundraising tool that doesn’t require an “ask” of members and supporters.

Volunteer Update

Debilyn asked how many volunteers are needed by each Director/work group chair.

Website update

Cameron was not present, but he posted a brief report in the agenda. He posted a link to the new website facade update. Jeanene will have photos by Friday.  Mike Wilde will work on the project over the weekend.

Channel Partnerships

Tonya posted a report in the agenda. She included a link to a press release from the Corporate Reform Coalition One Million Americans Urge the SEC to Stop Secret Corporate Political Spending. She reported that the press conference is tomorrow (Thursday) and that Coffee Party USA signed the press release. Tonya also spoke to Dave Nevins yesterday (Tuesday) regarding the No Labels campaign; he wants access to our New Hampshire members. No Labels has an event in October (18th & 19th). Nevins has no authority regarding a reciprocity agreement with us, but his board will meet on the 17th. Tonya wants to know if we should request a short term or long term partnership with No Labels; they also have a national campaign for the 2016 Presidential election, No Labels National Strategic agenda, during the primaries in the fall of 2015 and winter of 2016. Tonya accepted 1 of 2 volunteers sent to her. She spoke to Abel Laeke and he is ready, willing, and able to help her workgroup

Other Updates

Debilyn posted a brief report.  he NCDD.org conference has extended an invitation for an opportunity to share Coffee Party history and vision with 400+ national facilitators.

Executive Session

The board entered executive session.  The board exited executive session.

Closing

Members checked out. The meeting adjourned at 10:19 PM EDT. The Executive Committee will meet Wednesday, September 10, 2014 at 9:00 PM EDT. The next meeting of the full board will be Wednesday, September 17, 2014 at 9:00 PM EDT.

Respectfully submitted,

Vince Lamb, Coffee Party USA Board Secretary

August 26, 2014

by JKL

Opening

P – Debilyn Molineaux, President, Volunteers & Members

P – Jeanene Louden, Treasurer

P – Vince Lamb –  Secretary

P – Tonya Jefferson, Channel Partnerships

P – Cameron Kruger, IIWG Director, Acting Development

P – Egberto Willies, Newsroom

A – Billy Sears, Local Chapters

The meeting was called to order at 7:06 PM EDT. Members checked in.

Minutes

Minutes for July 29th,  August 5th, and August 19th, have been approved. Minutes for July 22nd, and August 12th, are awaiting approval. Cameron will update the website with links to the approved minutes when they have been posted. By the end of the meeting, minutes for July 22nd were approved.

Board Retreat

Five members (Debilyn, Jeanene, Vince, Egberto, and Billy) are confirmed for the board retreat. Tonya will attend via skype or google hangout . Cameron has not yet confirmed.

Treasurer’s Report

Jeanene presented her first draft of a budget, explaining her assumptions and describing each line item.  She reported that the board could continue the employment of a president’s assistant through September.  She invited members to examine the document.

MOTION: Jeanene moved that the president’s assistant be retained through September. Tonya seconded. The motion passed unanimously (Billy absent).

Work Group Structure – Review Next Steps (Debilyn, SOD work group)

Debilyn asked everyone to review the work group structure. Debilyn checked out at 7:30 PM EDT.  Egberto took over running the agenda.

Newsroom

Egberto reported that reach was a little down and that two new writers have come on board, filling 14 time slots during the week.  Egberto is still looking for more writers. They must be or become Coffee Party members.  A discussion ensued about pseudonymous bloggers writing for the Coffee Party.

Volunteer Update

Debilyn posted her report in the agenda. Her assistant is working with volunteers and is contacting everyone in the next week who has signed up in last 60 days. Other discussion was tabled.

Website Redesign

Cameron updated the board on the progress of the website redesign. He reported on the status of the facade update. He also reminded the board that he has a designer willing to work for free, but she needs direction, particularly on the logo.  He invited the board to submit suggestions and feedback on a questionnaire. Cameron wants input by Friday.

Channel Marketing

Tonya reported that she had substituted for Dan Aronson on his Blog Talk Radio show Press 1 for Democracy.  She interviewed Ted Glick, National Campaign Coordinator, Chesapeake Climate Action Network about climate change.  She wants to propose that Coffee Party USA promote/participate in a national Zero Waste municipalities competition to increase membership, recycle, and reverse climate change.  She also spoke to Debilyn about reciprocal assistance agreements with other activist groups.  She has been sent two volunteers to assist her.

Executive Session

The board entered executive session. The board exited executive session.

Closing

Members checked out. The meeting was adjourned at 8:04 PM EDT. The next meeting will be Wednesday, September 3 at 9:00 pm EDT/6:00 pm PDT.

Respectfully submitted,

Vince Lamb, Coffee Party USA Board Secretary

August 19, 2014

by JKL

Attendance

P – Debilyn Molineaux, President, Volunteers & Members

P – Jeanene Louden, Treasurer

P – Vince Lamb –  Secretary

P – Tonya N. Jefferson, Channel Partnerships

A – Cameron Michaels (Kruger), IIWG Director (Jordan Hall present to report)

P – Egberto Willies, Newsroom

A – Billy Sears, Local Chapters (Community Builder)

Special guest:  Jordan Hahn

Meeting was called to order at 7:04 PM EDT. Debilyn presided and Jeanene ran the Maestro board. Members checked in.

Website redesign

Jordan Hall was present in Cameron’s place to give the report on website redesign.  He reported that the designer was willing to donate her work in exchange for credit on the site and Facebook page.  He reported that she had produced an updated logo on her own volition as an example of her work.  Cameron had shared the proposed logo with the board in email before the meeting.  Debilyn reminded the board that any new logo would have to be trademarked.  Jordan asked that any feedback on the logo or other aspects of the redesign be sent to him or Cameron. He gave a schedule for when the template and colors would be updated and available for review.

Jordan left the call.

Minutes

Vince reported that the minutes for July 29 still required one more approval when the meeting began.  The minutes for August 5 and August 12 have been shared and are awaiting review and approval.  The minutes for July 22 still need to be typed up.  Debilyn requested that members look at all the minutes and approve them by the next meeting.

Retreat Update

Debilyn asked if everyone is committed to promoting the Indigogo page funding the Board retreat (https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-the-coffee-party-community-meet-in-denver).  The retreat is scheduled for all day Friday, all day Saturday, and half the day Sunday.  Tonya’s schedule has changed and she cannot make Friday of the retreat and requested a delay until December.  The response was that the retreat will go ahead as scheduled and that she should come on Saturday and Sunday, while checking in on Friday by Skype.

Work Group Structure Review / Next Steps

Debilyn requested that members read, suggest edits, and comment by next week’s meeting.

Newsroom update

Egberto reported that the reach is down on the Facebook page and the group needs more people posting.  The page needs more stories of the kind that Coffee Party USA is known for sharing.  Despite this, the page likes are still increasing, having passed 480,000 during August.

Volunteers update

Debilyn reminded the board that volunteer calls have been cancelled until further notice.  Links need to be updated to send interested people to the Blog Talk Radio show.  Also requests to volunteer should be forwarded to her.

Channel Partnerships

Tonya communicated via email with Ted Glick of Chesapeake Bay Climate Network.  She hopes to schedule a Blog Talk Radio interview with him.  She has also received emails from Debilyn regarding Represent Us and No Labels. Tonya must follow up and see what type of reciprocity agreement we can have if we support these two movements.

Building the Pipeline for Volunteers and Directors

Debilyn reported that a possible new board member only needs one more endorsement letter to begin vetting. She also asked for more board members to cover vacant positions. Billy may have found a volunteer to cover Public and Member Relations. Jeanene volunteered to run Campaigns and Actions

Executive Session

Board entered executive session.  During the session, Jeanene moved and Tonya seconded that $250 be allocated for the month of August to hire an assistant for Debilyn, that Jeanene prepare a budget including this appropriation, and that the appropriation be reviewed at the end of August to see if it should be continued beyond August.  The motion passed unanimously (Cameron and Billy absent). The board exited executive session.

Closing

Members checked out. The meeting adjourned at 8:04 PM EDT. The next meeting will be Tuesday, August 26, 2014 at 7:00 PM EDT.

Respectfully submitted,

Vince Lamb

Coffee Party USA Board Secretary