October 23, 2013
Meeting called to order at 8:10 PM EDT. A quorum was present.
Check-ins were conducted with short personal updates by board members.
- P- Eric Byler, President
- P- Jeanene Louden, Treasurer and Managing Director,
- P- Cameron Michaels (Kruger), Development and Fundraising
- P- Egberto Willies, Vice President
- P- DeLann Williams, Pathways to Participation
- P- Justin Brown, Internet Infrastructure
- P- Dan Aronson, Channel Partnerships
- A- John Cashon, Secretary
Eric presided over the meeting.
Eric and Cameron ran the Maestro board.
- Financial Report
- Elections (Jeanene)
- Fundraising (Cameron)
- Campaigns and Actions (Del)
- Social Media Updates (Eric, Jeanene)
- Annabel Park’s new Facebook page (Jeanene)
Minutes are behind because John is ill.
Financial Report (Jeanene)
- Our current balance is less than our A/P (accounts payable).
- The money available today is almost equal to the payable from NationBuilder that will be due. Because of our reduction in expenses we are doing well. Amazon cloud is closed and done.
- The Board discussed the problem with renewals in NationBuilder.
- Jeanene and Justin will be looking into how to utilize NationBuilder more efficiently to bring in renewals and membership.
- The board brought up the concern that we cannot implement any ideas because the money is not there.
- Cameron presented his proposal on Viridian Cares.
- Eric seconded before the motion was made
- Costs nothing to start.
- Good for the environment.
- This fundraising model will help fund CP and CP actions.
- The Board discussed the proposal, including how it can help CP, the environment, what the projections are for income, and details of how it would work.
- Jeanene expressed her concern that anyone with second thoughts or unanswered questions should speak up, that vetting was earnest, but an unasked question might make a difference in how we feel, therefore how we respond to questions about this project.
- Motion: Approve starting the application process to bring Coffee Party USA as a 501(4)c nonprofit into the Viridian Cares residual fund raising program with the intent to start a relationship with them to raise funds for the Coffee Party and really promote not for profit capitalism as a verifiable and viable method of which to empower our consumers to have their voices heard within the democratic process.
- Moved by Cameron, seconded by Eric. Motion passed unanimously.
- Discussion continued including how to promote within Coffee Party, how to use Social Help Online, and how to work with Viridian Cares’ Marketing Consultants. Chris Keyser from Social Help Online is also part of Viridian Cares and will defer fees for us as we roll out the Viridian project. The board discussed the details of Chris’ offer.
- Consulted with Lynda Park, Chair of the Board Development Work Group
- Upcoming elections – five possible openings : President, Treasurer, Cameron’s position, Dan’s position, Michael’s vacant position (for one year, not two).
- Over half the board will turn over.
- Jeanene expressed concern about continuity and turning the board over when the CP is financially in flux and that it might be better to do elections in line with our fiscal year.
- By-Laws can be amended by the board.
- Jeanene proposed several options:
- changing elections to 3-3-3 so only a third of the Board turns over at one time.
- Delaying the elections to match with our fiscal year.
- The board discussed the options including the fact that elections around the holidays don’t draw much participation, how well the current board is working together, whether the current board wanted to continue in 2014, hopefulness for the future with fundraising and the focus for the future once funds are available. They also discussed how long it took for them to feel confident in their positions without staff presence or previous board members to guide them.
- MOTION: Amend the bylaws to move Coffee Party Elections to June of each of year. Also amend the bylaws that instead of 9 we have 12 people and then appoint 4 people during this same upcoming months when we would normally be asking Lynda Park to be running elections we’d be asking Lynda to oversee the process of doing an open call, some vetting and bringing new people on board.
- Motion: Moved by Eric, seconded by Egberto.
- Discussion continued to clarify number of officers, the process of how to do the Amendments, etc.
- Jeanene clarified point of process that the Board can state what they want, but it needs to go to Development and then come back to the board if there are concerns.
- Motion passed unanimously.
Campaigns and Actions (DeLAnn)
- Big Apple Coffee Party (BACP) Don’t Do Koch Campaign
- The board discussed the BACP campaign and how the board can support them.
- Questions were raised about whether we could put it on the website and if they can access NationBuilder and about whether this campaign fits our Brand and if their campaign will follow civility pledge.
- Motion: Eric will respond to BACP to create a landing page on our site and present it as a BACP initiative. If others want to participate they will coordinate with BACP. We will facilitate but not coordinate.Want to make sure that what goes on our website is within our standards of civility and reason.
- Moved by Eric, seconded by Egberto.
- Discussion ensued. DeLann would like them to flush out the proposal a little more and she would like contacts, DeLann will coordinate with other work groups.
- Vote: passed unanimously
Update on Social Media (Eric)
- Eric discussed a blog talk radio show called Progressive Radio Tennessee Style. Eric talked to him for while and seems good to add to the mix as another radio host. The plan is to bring him on to the team a week from Sunday.
- Eric is not doing Middle Ground since Michael Charney has left.
- The board discussed the details of bringing the show on.
- Egberto is working with someone in Austin that is trying to create a network and it isn’t ready to come to the board yet, but we would be able to syndicate our shows with this network if it comes to pass.
- Would like to work up to a show every day.
Annabel Park’s new Facebook page – Jeanene
- “Join the We the People Movement”
- Page was launched October 3, 2013
- Can we support her just like we support BACP?
- Can we invite her to use our space?
- Discussion followed to clarify details and discuss pros and cons.
- Con: what do we do if she uses our membership base to fund raise again or wants to do something in a way that we can’t endorse.
- Pro: She will bring more activity.
- Eric asked if there was any objection if we invited her to cross post and share her page with the CP page.
- Board agreed (no vote).
Adjourn – Check outs and meeting adjourned at 10:15 EDT
Secretary to the Board of Directors