March 4, 2014

by JKL

Meeting called to order at 7:10 PM EDT

  • P – Eric Byler, President
  • P – Egberto Willies, Vice President
  • P – Jeanene Louden, Treasurer and Managing Director (missed ending)
  • P – Dan Aronson, Channel Partnerships
  • P – Cameron Michaels (Kruger), Development and Fundraising
  • A – Justin Brown, Internet Infrastructure

Eric  presided over the meeting
Jeanene ran the Maestro Board

Checkins were conducted with short personal updates by board members.

Agenda

  • Minutes
  • Financial Report – Jeanene
  • Development
  • Events Fundraising

Minutes – Jeanene

  • The board should divide up the minutes
  • Should we move forward with Vince?

Financial Report – Jeanene

Date 3/4/2014
PayPal Balance 150.75
US Bank Balance 1,475.23
PayPal – USB in transit 1,600.00
Total 3,225.98
Accounts Payable 500.00
Debt 10,800.00
Credit Card Bal 0.00

 

  • Made over $4000 last month.
  • We were able to make loan payments (for Enough is Enough)
  • We received a record number of cancellations and complaints to PayPal
    • problem due to switch from Blue State to NationBuilder
    • people were automatically renewed memberships without notice and surprised people. 15 people were upset and that’s a lot.
    • Debilyn and Jeanene sending out emails to explain and offer money back if it was in error.
    • So some of this money may be returned
  • The board discussed the error issue including how to alert people, auto renew concerns, the PayPal complaint, membership management, personal contacts and assigning one new director as Membership Manager.
  • Now we can move on to create a budget!
    • Ledger still needs to be simplified
    • Data merged from all bank accounts – project complete

Board Development – Eric

  • The board discussed bringing on additional Directors including Vince and Debilyn and others.  Eric requested that candidates identified, vetted and brought on vetted within two weeks. Additional discussion on  candidates will be discussed on Big Marker.

Development – Cameron

  • Viridian Cares call was delayed due to scheduling conflicts
  • Cameron introduced a discussion on allowing partisanship on our pages and  Coffee Party Opinion Blog.  Partisanship can bring in traffic and higher engagement. Concerns included first impressions (blog is on front of website), moving blog, and sharing on FB page.
  • Newsletter is essential.
  • Fundraising should be monthly.  Will build momentum.  Will balance our renewals over the year.
    • monthly push based on specific themes.
    • coordinate content across our social media.
    • Board discussed idea including creating platform for activity, social media, dialogue to coordinate with fundraising, designing asks without bleeds to other sites, importance of newsletter, the need for volunteers to help with this, need for director for membership.
      • Fundraising and membership are not the same.
      • Need a membership coordinator
      • implementation important  and needs to balance with reality and access to manpower (volunteers)
      • bringing in Newsroom to help for newsletter and radio
        • need monthly fundraising themes that match with current events or monthly holidays.
  • Educational Marketing
    • We need to brand this as being experts
    • Educate people on HOW to engage in a transpartisan way
    • Then ask for donations
  • Viridian Cares
    • Execution date is March 15 or later
    • We need media from CP on top of Viridian Cares Marketing
    • We need good strategic plan  with 30/60/90 day goals.

The board discussed fundraising more including having an action attached to fundraising, today’s politic and  the need for people to know we are doing something, timelines, Viridian Cares Field Days, 435 program (Josh Silver), resources,volunteer management and structure for onboarding,

  • Needs action for selling zazzle and cafe  products and  team building.
  • The board discussed the development of the Viridian Cares messaging and execution through email blasts about Viridian Cares and Relationship and develop it with Viridian Cares approval.  It needs to be clear on all points, including the financial arrangements.  We also need to make sure website links, etc. are ready.
  • The board decided it would be done by the end of the month.
  • Cameron took a few moments to clarify Eric’s misconceptions about Viridian Cares and how the benefit is completely for the Coffee Party.

Messaging and Branding – Eric

  • Eric introduced a document drafted by the Newsroom team has drafted a document listing basic guidelines regarding our brand.
  • Held up bringing on new people.

Motion: Eric moved to endorse The Social Media Guidelines, they can be amended, not set in stone, but moves that we endorse these guidelines and then he can start training people.

  • Dan seconded for the purpose of discussion.
  • There were concerns about specifics of the document including guidelines on personalized blogs, rank in google links and how it conflicts with earlier discussion on Transpartisanship vs partisanship, limits on number of postings.
  • Eric and Jeanene went  through the document point by point.
    • bottleneck for everything we want to do
    • need to show sense of common goals and commitment to founding ideals of CP
    • appropriate uses of FB page, Campaigns and Actions, Content for webpages
    • mission statement and core values
    • language used and changing headlines, choice of articles, use of sources for articles, use of curators
    • how to address pet issues
    • Board discussed each paragraph including
      • how Viridian Cares and other fundraising plays a part, how best to do fundraising using social media, hot buttons for Viridian Cares, changing the title of the document, purpose of document (for newsroom team),
      • how to bring fundraising from FB, twitter etc  through NB to track  fundraisers for other groups
      • clarification of the term fact based, code words, education, false narratives
      • how closely will these guidelines be followed or if they are flexible, and whether or not that’s the right way to proceed.
      • how many sources are required
      • how to build trust for our newsroom
      • rules for deleting posts
      • page consistency, more link backs to Coffee Party
      • Egberto and Cameron expressed concerns that his website was the genesis for some of these issues and points and feels that Eric’s personal feelings are driving this discussion.
      • how do we drive additional interest in the Coffee Party?
      • How do we stay inclusive, encourage free speech and avoid censorship?
      • Cameron expressed concern about putting limitations on speech and there are ways to give them a place to have speech even if it’s partisan.

[Jeanene dropped off the call]

Amendment to the motion:Table the paragraph limiting posts for further discussion and vote on the rest of the document.

  • Eric agreed and insisted on a vote specifically on the Amendment only.

Motion was made by Dan Aronson, seconded by Cameron and passed: 3 yes, 1 no, 0 abstain, 2 not present (Jeanene and Justin)

  • Eric offered to make changes to the document based on board discussion and present to Newsroom.
  • The board clarified that any changes need to be voted on first before presentation to the newsroom. Eric agreed.

Motion as amended passed unanimously. (Jeanene and Justin not present)

Meeting adjourned at 9:46 pm EDT without checkouts.

Respectfully Submitted
The Minutes Team

 

Advertisements