February 18, 2014
The meeting was scheduled for 7PM, was called to order at 7:29 PM EDT
- P – Eric Byler, President
- P – Egberto Willies, Vice President
- P – Jeanene Louden, Treasurer and Managing Director
- P – Dan Aronson, Channel Partnerships
- P – Cameron Kruger, Development and Fundraising
- P – Justin Brown, Internet Infrastructure
Jeanene presided over the meeting though Eric was present.
Check ins were conducted with short personal updates by board members.
- Financial Report
- Role of Board of Directors (spontaneous discussion)
- Development and fundraising
Minutes – there are no minutes because there is no Secretary.
Financial Report – Jeanene
She reported that the check she is about to write for Directors and Officers insurance will be the first rubber check she has ever written. We can cover it only because of the credit card and line of credit she secured for Coffee Party recently.
Eric was concerned that if we did not have enough money to pay for Directors and Officers insurance next year, we could not afford to have a board. That we should just give the FB page back to Annabel and call it good.
After the last meeting Jeanene shared a statement on Big Marker apologizing for having mistaken her role on the board as one in support of the Founders instead of in support of the Coffee Party where we are all equals. She restated her commitment and asked the rest of the Board if we were ready to step over the line in the sand and reinvent ourselves as a working board rather than a support board.
Role of the Board of Directors – spontaneous discussion.
The board discussed the suggestion to give up and give “it” back to Annabel:
- we are an organization, not a Facebook page
- to recommit is preferable to quitting
- if this is just Annabel and Eric’s organization we are not doing our job
- everybody brings value
- our time has been wasted if we are just placeholders
- Eric apologized for the “dissolve the board” comment
- Annabel did not request the page
- Sorrow for Annabel’s lack of interest in supporting us over the last two and a half years was expressed
- We can do better than we are doing, but we have to work together, even if it has to be without Annabel
- We lost focus waiting for her to come back – we were adrift
- We need to step back, turn down the rhetoric and stop being taken down rabbit trails
- Our challenges began when the follow-up to the Enough is Enough did not happen
- Now we need to move on
Egberto Willies introduced several actions that could be started:
- Website overhaul.
- Egberto volunteered to work on the website with Board approval.
- Clarify Facebook pages with regard to openness and expression with a goal to increase likes.
- The board was asked to review Egberto’s suggestion document including the need.
- Discussion continued including the need for financial and volunteer support.
Egberto reintroduced his Document for Website and Social Media (called Suggestions)
- almost ready for action, won’t take much to make it work
- start weekly thing quickly
- with regard to the Newsroom and blogs, we are not using them effectively.
- The board will review the document before Newsroom meeting.
Cameron Kruger introduced a discussion on corporate organizational structure so that volunteers can be sent to the right places.
- Need to figure out where we need volunteers before we bring them on. Need a wire framed structure
- The board discussed this proposal including needs. Cameron recommended getting the structure in place first so we have the volunteers.
- Conversation moved away without action
Eric Byler offered some ideas for actions for the future including the Don’t do Koch Campaign and the board discussed it including:
- He is helping BACP is build a website and creating events
- This project can go national
- He recommends launching the event tool for Don’t Do Koch and other campaigns.
- Volunteer needs
- events coordinator
- website help
- district coordinators
- make sure rules are clear re branding
- clarify relationship between BACP and CP – cross promotion?
- this could support our clearinghouse for events and collaboration idea
- encourage groups to post event
- help others to create events
- link through NB networking
- support other organizations, local and national
- cost of the web addition to our NationBuilder platform is $9/month and being picked up by BACP
- implementation plan will be shared
- Volunteer needs
- updating our overall website should be a part of this effort
- Actions required:
- Eric to proceed with Big Apple Coffee Party project
- All to review and comment document re: website before Newsroom meeting tomorrow
- All to read Cameron’s Viridian Cares fundraising document re: structure by Friday
- The board agreed to these actions without formal motion
The rest of the agenda was suspended.
Meeting adjourned with Checkouts at 9:06 PM EDT.
The Minutes Team