July 10, 2013
CALL TO ORDER AND NOTE OF ATTENDANCE
The Maestro call was called to order by President Eric Byler at about 5pm PST. The attendance of other Directors is noted below. A quorum was present. We all took 30 seconds to check in.
P– Eric Byler, President
L– Egberto Willies, Vice President, Director for Campaigns and Actions
P– Jeanene Louden, Treasurer
P– John Cashon, Secretary
P– Michael Charney, Director for Strategy and Organizational Design
A– Dan Aronson, Director At Large
P– DeLann Williams, Director for Pathways to Participation
P– Cameron Kruger, Director for Development
L– Justin Brown, Director for Internet Infrastructure
MINUTES are posted – John Cashon
Michael asked for a vote, and Del seconded the motion, to approve the previous minutes from June 19th, 2013. Due to being out of the country, Cameron abstained and Michael, Eric, Del, Jeanene, and John voted to approve publishing the minutes with no changes, while Egberto, Justin and Dan were not available for the vote. The previous minutes were approved to publish.
FINANCIAL – Jeanene Louden
Jeanene showed the board her new Financial Cheat Sheet and explained the financial numbers for the month. She explained that the fundraising has been hugely impacted by numerous breakdowns in our ability to use NationBuilder effectively. Because Debilyn has had to work with the NB tech support on this almost on a daily basis, Jeanene put a call out to folks who know NationBuilder for help, and she asked the board if we knew of any folks from any organization that might be able to give us a few hours of support.
Due to monetary restraints, Jeanene said that Debilyn will need to reduce her hours, and that she would negotiate this in the next few days. Because Debilyn will not be as available, Jeanene stated that she will need to pick up a lot of slack, and she asked the board to work with her to help with her posting on the Join the Coffee Party Facebook Page to give her more time.
NATIONBUILDER ISSUES – Jeanene Louden
Jeanene stated that she was still having trouble with NationBuilder regarding transferring members from the old database. She explained how the members were having to sign-up as a new member and this was causing many to question the need. Because of these roadblocks, Jeanene said that she with Justin and Debilyn have been having a lot of trouble solving the issue, which has been hurting our donations. Cameron mentioned that he has also been having trouble with NationBuilder’s email, and he believes that the mail side of NationBuilder is not necessary, but he reiterated that the platform is great in other areas.
FREE THE ELECTED FUNDRAISING – Cameron Kruger
Del spoke about how PayPal has been working well for her, and Jeanene explained how it was doing a good job meeting our needs with taking donations from credit cards. Michael felt that we needed to find another person that had the skills that Debilyn possesses, and he explained that we will need more donations to achieve this. Eric stated that for that to happen, we will need to make sure that we will need to deliver to get anything back.
John questioned if we had any more information concerning grants and the 501(C)(3) status, and he said he would work with Jeanene with helping to fill out the application process for the tax exempt status.
As an action item, it was decided that Cameron and Eric will begin to work on the script for a video promo.
BIG APPLE COFFEE PARTY REQUESTS OUR SUPPORT IN EXPANDING DON’T DO KOCH – Dan Aronson
Dan had requested that the board discuss the Coffee Party requests sent from the chapter organizations, but he was unable to attend the meeting. Michael had discussed the issue with Dan and explained Dan’s point of view on the matter. Eric believed that if it was important that each request would be owned by the organization, and not by the Coffee Party to remove any liability. Because Dan is in charge of Channel Partnerships, Michael believes that we should put together a Policy Statement explaining the Coffee Party’s rules regarding these events and requests. It was decided that Michael and Del would create this policy statement and show the board when done.
SOCIAL MEDIA USE MANAGEMENT STATUS UPDATE – Eric Byler
Eric stated that we have dozens of Facebook pages that were created in the first year of Coffee Party, but he explained that we only maintain four pages that he knows about:
- Join the Coffee Party
- Elizabeth Warren
- Enough is Enough
- CP National Team
Eric added that the first three are maintained because they have the largest number of fans, and all three feed directly on to our Twitter feed, because this helps to achieve the aim of keeping our Twitter feed going throughout the day. Eric wants to do a better job of figuring out who is posting to Elizabeth Warren and Enough is Enough pages. For instance, he explained, we posted a satire piece to Enough is Enough with a status update that sounded as if they didn’t know that it was actually a satire. Kind of embarrassing.
Eric stated that this is the kind of thing that the “Newsroom” group would fix, but he hasn’t very much time, because of his documentary work. Eric also described our different platforms:
- HootSuite: Currently, Eric Byler is the only person using the CP HootSuite account. HootSuite allows posts to be scheduled in the future. At one time, Eric used to schedule posts throughout the day, spending 20 minutes or so every 12 hours to populate the next 12 hours with 3 or 4 tweets per hour, with most of them being re-tweets. Because he doesn’t have time to do this while in full-time film production, he described how he was using a HootSuite phone app that allows him to do a lot of re-tweeting.
- Scoop.it: Jeanene and Michael still use this, but Eric has stopped using it, because it takes a little extra time to prepare a Facebook post using Scoop.it. Now that Facebook also allows posts to be scheduled ahead of time, Scoop.it is less of an attraction for him, and the massive participatory content sharing that he hoped to inspire with Scoop.it never really materialized.
- Radio: The four shows continue to provide an outlet and an interface for our online community. The shows are maintained by their hosts and producers with skill and pride, and some of the new hosts are being trained to fill in for Dan Aronson. Michael Charney, who took time off from this for his work, is back on The Middle Ground and everyone is glad that he is back.
VOLUNTEER LIFE CYCLE PROJECT – DeLann Williams
Del discussed her new Staffing Request Google Form, and she emailed it to each board member asking that each take a look and get back with her regarding any possible changes that may be needed.
535 BETA TEST – Justin Brown
Justin explained the page that he created for the 535/ Free the Elected beta test, and he asked to board to continue to review and let him know of any changes that it may need.
TO DO/ACTION ITEMS FOR THE BOARD:
- Eric Byler: Prepare video for Free The Elected.
- Egberto Willies: Work with Jeanene.
- Jeanene Louden:
- Work with Egberto.
- Attend Monday fundraising meeting.
- Check on Del’s membership in PayPal.
- John Cashon: post the approved minutes.
- Michael Charney: work on collaboration policy statement with Del.
- Dan Aronson: Review and discuss Michael and Del’s Policy Statement.
- DeLann Williams:
- Transfer old volunteer requests to new form.
- Work with Michael on collaboration policy.
- Cameron Kruger: Attend Monday fundraising meeting.
- Justin Brown: Attend Monday fundraising meeting.
SCHEDULE NEXT MEETING AND ADJOURN
The next meeting will be held July 31st, 2013 in Maestro, at 5 pm Pacific (8 pm Eastern). We all took 30 seconds to check out, and all lines were opened so we could say goodbye to one another or as we say in Kentucky, “Have a good one!”
Secretary of the Board of Directors