CALL TO ORDER AND NOTE OF ATTENDANCE
The Maestro call was called to order by President Eric Byler at about 5pm PST. The attendance of other Directors is noted below. A quorum was present. We all took 30 seconds to check in.
- P– Eric Byler, President
- L– Egberto Willies, Vice President, Director for Campaigns and Actions
- P– Jeanene Louden, Treasurer
- P– John Cashon, Secretary
- P– Michael Charney, Director for Strategy and Organizational Design
- A– Jose Gutierrez, Director At Large
- P– DeLann Williams, Director for Pathways to Participation
- P– Cameron Kruger, Director for Development
- P– Justin Brown, Director for Internet Infrastructure
MINUTES are posted.
FINANCIAL REPORT – Jeanene
We went over the pending expenses from last year and some of the possible future expenses that may be required this year.
BLUE STATE DIGITAL TO NATION BUILDER TRANSITION COMPLETION
We went over the possibility of contacting Legislators through Nation Builder and Justin is going to research for an API to pull in data from other sources onto a webpage in Nation Builder. We discussed what the problems would be to have our faxes and emails switched from Blue State Digital to Nation Builder, and decided to hold off from removing Blue State Digital until we know for sure that it would not cause a problem. Justin and Jeanene will report to the Board if they can confirm that the completion of the move to Nation Builder will not cost us thousands of dollars in monthly donations.
ANNUAL COFFEE PARTY BOARD UNRETREAT
An idea for a three day weekend for this UnRetreat was discussed, and it was decided to have John Cashon take the lead. He will work with Lynda and Jeanene from the Board Development Team to aid him with making a decision on the location, timing, and type of lodging, that could be in a hotel or a bed and breakfast. He will have a report ready for the next board meeting to give everyone an update. Also, possible locations were discussed:
- Chicago, IL
- Las Vegas, NV
- Austin, TX
- Orlando, FL
- Washington DC
- Honolulu, HI
- Perhaps a city where something else may be occurring at the same time
435,535, BE A LEADER – CAMPAIGN UPDATE
It was decided that Egberto would be the liaison with Frank Kirkwood to report on the progress of the campaign to the board. We decided to think of a possible name change for the campaign because it was determined that ‘Be a Leader’ would not be the best choice. Justin is going to research web tools for Nation Builder that could be used to send and track the letters sent to the Legislators, and to keep up with the research done by the volunteers.
THE 9TH COFFEE PARTY DIRECTOR
It was determined, after reviewing the Bylaws, there is not a time frame for filling the position on the Board. Here is the section in the Bylaws discussing this:
- Section 6. Filling of Vacancies. Any vacancy in any office shall be filled by a person appointed by the Board of Directors, which person shall otherwise be qualified for such office in accordance with these Bylaws and shall serve for the unexpired term of the office or until his or her successor shall have been duly elected and qualified.We decided to continue the conversation on email to discuss the best course of action before appointing the 9th board member.
We decided to continue the conversation on email to discuss the best course of action before appointing the 9th board member.
CAMERON’S FUNDRAISING LETTER, $5 PER MONTH CAMPAIGN
Cameron went over his ideas for Development Fundraising:
- The Cup of Coffee Initiative (5 dollar initiative)
- Fundraising the 535 Campaign
- Fundraising through the Newsletter
- Fundraising Through Mass Media Exposure
- Internal Fundraising (from within the party)
- Sponsorship for Radio Shows
- 501 (c)3 Setup to promote Tax free Donations
- Setup the Coffee UnSUPERpac to allow for other super PACS to give to us.
- “Who are the Coffee Party?” — Campaign for public exposure locally.
- Collaboration with other organizations to make a bonding portal that is reciprocal (fund raising for and with each other)
- Congressional Letter campaign
- Improv Clubs – Why not organize fundraisers with upright citizens brigade – 50/50 split on proceeds.
- Grants need to be 501(c)3 first to begin
- Kickstarter/IndiegogoWe went over these ideas and their possibilities. It was determined that each of the board members would rank the 14 ideas by priority and email to Cameron.
COFFEE PARTY NEWSROOM MANAGEMENT OF FACEBOOK PAGE AND CIVILITY
Time was an issue for discussing this. We decided that an email chain would be started to allow the Board of Directors to give direction to the ‘CP Newsroom’ regarding the management of the Facebook Pages with civility in mind. These directions will be discussed in the Monday CP Newsroom conference call.
SCHEDULE NEXT MEETING AND ADJOURN
The next meeting will be held February 27, 2013, at 5pm Pacific (8pm Eastern). We all took 30 seconds to check out, and all mics were opened so we could say goodbye to one another or as we say in Kentucky, “Have a good one!”
Secretary of the Board of Directors