Board Meeting Minutes Coffee Party USA

INCITE CIVILITY AND REASON

Coffee Party USA Board Meeting Minutes has moved

by John Cashon

The Coffee Party USA Board Meeting Minutes has moved to the Coffee Party USA Website. To view them, click HERE.

March 27, 2013

by John Cashon

CALL TO ORDER AND NOTE OF ATTENDANCE

The Maestro call was called to order by President Eric Byler at about 5pm PST. The attendance of other Directors is noted below. A quorum was present. We all took 30 seconds to check in.

  • P– Eric Byler, President
  • L– Egberto Willies, Vice President, Director for Campaigns and Actions
  • A– Jeanene Louden, Treasurer
  • P– John Cashon, Secretary
  • P– Michael Charney, Director for Strategy and Organizational Design
  • P– Dan Aronson, Director At Large
  • P– DeLann Williams, Director for Pathways to Participation
  • P– Cameron Kruger, Director for Development
  • P– Justin Brown, Director for Internet Infrastructure

MINUTES are posted. – John Cashon

We discussed moving the minutes from the WordPress Blog to the main Coffee Party Website. Justin set this up during the meeting.

FINANCIAL REPORT – Jeanene Louden Absent – Michael Charney and John Cashon Reported

BOARD UN-RETREAT UPDATE – John Cashon and Michael Charney

Michael created an Agenda for the Un-Retreat and went over a breakdown of how the days would be filled during the Retreat. Everyone thought that it would be a great idea to have Annabel Park visit one evening during the Retreat and it was discussed having an invitation sent to Annabel Park to join us for part of Un-Retreat.

535 UPDATE - Egberto Willies  

Egberto gave a brief report on the status of the 535 Campaign. Justin spoke about the need to create Sub-nations for each state within Nation Builder would be needed if one state is too large. Sub-nations help by keeping databases separate so as to create a safety net for the data being entered. By not having all of the data in one place, this would offer protections to us.

It was discussed having Frank Kirkwood, the leader of the project, visit one night during the Un-Retreat and all agreed that it would be a good idea. It was decided that Annabel and Frank would visit Friday night for a meeting.

“DON’T DO KOCH” UPDATE - Eric Byler 

Eric explained that on April 1st, flyers with Koch products listed would be given to people entering grocery stores so they could have the opportunity to choose another brand explaining that people could be civic minded by not buying their products.

PROCESS ISSUES SURROUNDING “DON’T DO KOCH” CAMPAIGN 

Questions were brought up about finding the best ways to get local ideas approved or not in a timely manner. We all agreed that it was important to consider all of the ideas coming out the local chapters.

It was decided that since Dan has a background in coordinating these ideas, and we all decided to speak more about it at the Un-Retreat.

Dan created a list to help process for vetting local actions including roles and responsibilities:

  • Bringing it to the BoD

  • Discussion methodology (forms of communication)

  • Approval process

  • Implementation

EMAIL BLAST COORDINATION - Justin Brown. Due to time restraints, this section of the meeting was brief and moved to the next board meeting.

Justin has been working with a plan to keep our fundraising and action emails from hitting the same people too much, and he thought that creating  newsletter could work much better, that would allow him to consolidate the info from many of the Email Blasts.

Eric thought that creating a page on our website would be a good idea that would give us the ability to show the invitations sent for each radio show.

IIWG TECHNICAL UPDATE – Justin Brown

Justin gave a brief update on what he has been doing, and he was very glad that he was getting help from Dan with Nation Builder. Justin has been testing emails and he wanted each of us to let him know what we think when we receive them. He has also been helping with the 535 and the ‘Don’t do Koch’ campaigns, giving us an update to what he has been doing.

DEVELOPMENT – Cameron Kruger 

Cameron gave us a list of what he has been doing in Development.

  • Working on switching over the BSD Database to Nationbuilder

  • Working on a discussion for Adwords Adsense revenue

  • Working on a discussion about alternative revenue funding inclusive of restaurant.com type gift cards for donating

SCHEDULE NEXT MEETING AND ADJOURN

The next meeting will be held April 24th, 2013, at 5pm Pacific (8pm Eastern). We all took 30 seconds to check out, and all mics were opened so we could say goodbye to one another or as we say in Kentucky, “Have a good one!”

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED:

John Cashon

Secretary of the Board of Directors

March 13, 2013

by John Cashon

CALL TO ORDER AND NOTE OF ATTENDANCE

The Maestro call was called to order by President Eric Byler at about 5pm PST. The attendance of other Directors is noted below. A quorum was present. We all took 30 seconds to check in.

  • P– Eric Byler, President
  • P– Egberto Willies, Vice President, Director for Campaigns and Actions
  • P– Jeanene Louden, Treasurer
  • P– John Cashon, Secretary
  • P– Michael Charney, Director for Strategy and Organizational Design
  • P– Dan Aronson, Director At Large
  • P– DeLann Williams, Director for Pathways to Participation
  • P– Cameron Kruger, Director for Development
  • P– Justin Brown, Director for Internet Infrastructure

MINUTES are posted.

WELCOME DAN ARONSON TO THE BOARD

 Dan was given a chance to introduce himself as the newest board member.

FINANCIAL REPORT – Jeanene Louden

INTERNET INFRASTRUCTURE REPORT – (tabled last meeting) – Justin Brown

Justin gave us a bullet list of questions, progress, and he also defined what he would need to do in the future.

1.) Follow-up with the board: how does the import of legacy blog content from BSD look? Accuracy, etc. Wrangler Media has been paid.

2.) Experiment to test whether we can port over donors from BSD into NB

  • Have connected with Jordan to understand his approach
  • Cameron has also confirmed this is possible 

3.) Open Volunteer Roles Page

  • Open Volunteer Roles Link
  • Please add/edit roles you need
  • Del & Social Media teams, let’s work together to promote and fill these, as well as keep this page up to date

4.) Establish integration with Sunlight Foundation to enable users to look up their rep

  • Requires deep API development
  • Temporary solution built
  • Other alternative is Salsa tool – like the one here.
  • Met with Salsa Account Executive Tuesday, waiting on pricing

5.) 535 Campaign – Progress made on building out pages on NationBuilder

  • completed the job aid/step-by-step how-to document
  • leveraging volunteers to complete the work
  • have completed states A-I (Alabama–Idaho) so far
  • continuing to truck along, more volunteers would be helpful!

Eric asked about any outstanding work with Wrangler, and Justin is going to look into it.

LEADERSHIP 535  (BE A LEADER, 535 PROJECT) UPDATE – Egberto Willies

Egberto talked about the Monday 535 Campaign video conference that occurred using Big Marker, and he explained how it was decided to have Frank Kirkwood write up a plan for the Project management for the campaign. Egberto explained a tier level structure that he thought would work well for the campaign, that would have leaders and many levels to resolve problems and answer questions.

Cameron spoke about meeting his legislators in DC with questionnaires for them to answer, and he was going to use them as a good dry run for the 535 campaign.

Eric believed it would help to summarize a strategy for Frank to have as a reference, and he thought it would be a good idea for any of us, who had prior experiences with large campaigns, to relate those experiences to Frank, so that he could be prepared to avoid any roadblocks that may be down the road.

Eric brainstormed ideas for our 535 Page. He envisioned virtual gathering places, by geography, where experiences could be related, and he wanted to open up a two-way conversation with the legislators. Jeanene agreed, and said that a conduit was needed.

Michael thought that a mass marketing campaign plan was needed. This could be done with a write up but he believed that we needed a strong, punchy blurb to highlight the campaign, and Cameron volunteered to help with writing these for the campaign.

Eric gave the board a link to a March 2010 video that he did and thought it could give creative ideas for the Mass Marketing of the campaign:

Eric Byler and Annabel Park explain the March 2010 campaign.

COFFEE PARTY UN-RETREAT UPDATE - John Cashon

It was decided that one more day should be added to allow more time for those coming from longer distances. John showed options for places to hold the retreat, and one was decided, close to Silver Spring, in the Washington D.C. area. He also went over the budget that would be needed while there.

It was also decided that an agenda would be needed to keep the retreat structured, and Michael volunteered to create one and send out to the board to review when he was finished.

STRATEGY AND ORGANIZATIONAL DESIGN (TABLED LAST MEETING) – (tabled until next meeting at retreat) - Michael Charney

Michael shared his ‘Strategic and Organizational Planning Document’ with the board, and it was decided to discuss at the retreat.

DEVELOPMENT – Cameron Kruger

Cameron had a list of items ready to show the board as well and actions were decided some of the items:

1.) Expansion of the 5 dollar a month campaign

  • Plan: need schedule for FB posts about it, reminders to mention during radio shows and in email blasts, need to embed in website

2.) Use of mass media for website exposure

3.) Interviews with congressional candidate opportunities

  • Plan: CP radio or video content showing candidates interact with CP leaders & members

4.) Nation builder meet and greet update

  • close to launch of new NB tools

5.) DC trip and use of questionnaires in the 535 campaign.

NEWSROOM” EDITORIAL BOARD CALL – NOW ON WEDNESDAYS, ALTERNATING WITH BOD CALL

Eric suggested that we allow time for BoD business, if necessary at “Newsroom” meetings, and that we could present the “Newsroom” as an open meeting to which any member in good standing, or prospective member, is invited.

The Newsroom call would continue to focus on citizen journalism, messaging, etc. (BE THE MEDIA), and the Board Members would continue to be invited, but not required  to attend. If there is a discussion or vote that is considered Board Business, each Board Member would be provided with a notice.

Michael brought up his concerns that the Join the Coffee Party Facebook Page was too populated with posts, and that more time between would give more time for each article to be read. Egberto countered that he thought the scheduled posts were fine and that no adjustment should be made. Eric thought that page could use a new look, but he thought the best plan could be to get input from our supporters to get their thoughts.

The problem was highlighted concerning how Facebook has been cutting posts from the walls, and Justin and Cameron were asked to contact the Facebook Engineers to see if anything could be done.

SCHEDULE NEXT MEETING AND ADJOURN

The next meeting will be held March 27, 2013, at 5pm Pacific (8pm Eastern). We all took 30 seconds to check out, and all mics were opened so we could say goodbye to one another or as we say in Kentucky, “Have a good one!”

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED:

John Cashon

Secretary of the Board of Directors

February 27, 2013

by JKL

CALL TO ORDER AND NOTE OF ATTENDANCE

The Maestro call was called to order by President Eric Byler at about 5pm PST. The attendance of other Directors is noted below. A quorum was present. We all took 30 seconds to check in.

  • P– Eric Byler, President
  • P– Egberto Willies, Vice President, Director for Campaigns and Actions
  • P– Jeanene Louden, Treasurer
  • P– John Cashon, Secretary
  • L– Michael Charney, Director for Strategy and Organizational Design
  • A– Jose Gutierrez, Director At Large
  • P– DeLann Williams, Director for Pathways to Participation
  • P– Cameron Kruger, Director for Development
  • P– Justin Brown, Director for Internet Infrastructure

MINUTES are posted.

FINANCIAL REPORT – Jeanene

Jeanene went over the changes that she had done for expanding the snapshots for the Cash Flow and Accounts Payable sections of her reports.

Motion to Restore a Work Group

WHEREAS the bylaws of the Coffee Party USA include a Legal and Accounting Work Group, and
WHEREAS the Board dissolved the work group in January 2012, and
WHEREAS the Treasurer has ideas about how to use a team of professionals to pave the way for our sustainable future as a grassroots organization, it is
RESOLVED that the Legal and Accounting Work Group be restored, and
RESOLVED that the Treasurer be the liaison to this work group.

Jeanene brought this motion to the board and Michael seconded it. She felt that we needed procedures to be setup to help with future audits, and to help the process in attaining a 501(3)c status. We were asked to review the motion and were given the opportunity to ask questions before voting. The vote was unanimous in favor.

ANNUAL COFFEE PARTY BOARD UN-RETREAT

We decided to have the Un-Retreat in Washington D.C. on the weekend of April 5th to April 7th, 2013. Ideas were brought forward for cost savings measures, and John Cashon was asked to put a budget together to show the board.

THE 9TH BOARD MEMBER

Because of work responsibilities, Jose Gutierrez is unable to continue as a board member. After discussing the by-laws, replacement names were brought up as choices to replace Jose in executive session.

Dan Aronson is appointed to the Board of Directors to serve out the 2013 term of Jose Gutierrez, who steps down with our gratitude.

535 CAMPAIGN

It was confirmed that Frank Kirkwood is running this project and action strategies were discussed for moving the project forward. Justin previously had a training call to explain Nation Builder’s role in the project and how volunteers were being tagged by their associated projects. 535 pages will be created for each congressional district so the volunteers can enter the information from their district, and associating each district by zip code was discussed by the board.

SCHEDULE NEXT MEETING AND ADJOURN

The next meeting will be held March 13, 2013, at 5pm Pacific (8pm Eastern). We all took 30 seconds to check out, and all mics were opened so we could say goodbye to one another, or as we say in Kentucky, “Have a good one!”

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED:

John Cashon

Secretary of the Board of Directors

February 13, 2013

by JKL

CALL TO ORDER AND NOTE OF ATTENDANCE

The Maestro call was called to order by President Eric Byler at about 5pm PST. The attendance of other Directors is noted below. A quorum was present. We all took 30 seconds to check in.

  • P– Eric Byler, President
  • L– Egberto Willies, Vice President, Director for Campaigns and Actions
  • P– Jeanene Louden, Treasurer
  • P– John Cashon, Secretary
  • P– Michael Charney, Director for Strategy and Organizational Design
  • A– Jose Gutierrez, Director At Large
  • P– DeLann Williams, Director for Pathways to Participation
  • P– Cameron Kruger, Director for Development
  • P– Justin Brown, Director for Internet Infrastructure

MINUTES are posted.

FINANCIAL REPORT – Jeanene

We went over the pending expenses from last year and some of the possible future expenses that may be required this year.

OLD BUSINESS

BLUE STATE DIGITAL TO NATION BUILDER TRANSITION COMPLETION
We went over the possibility of contacting Legislators through Nation Builder and Justin is going to research for an API to pull in data from other sources onto a webpage in Nation Builder. We discussed what the problems would be to have our faxes and emails switched from Blue State Digital to Nation Builder, and decided to hold off from removing Blue State Digital until we know for sure that it would not cause a problem. Justin and Jeanene will report to the Board if they can confirm that the completion of the move to Nation Builder will not cost us thousands of dollars in monthly donations.

ANNUAL COFFEE PARTY BOARD UNRETREAT
An idea for a three day weekend for this UnRetreat was discussed, and it was decided to have John Cashon take the lead. He will work with Lynda and Jeanene from the Board Development Team to aid him with making a decision on the location, timing, and type of lodging, that could be in a hotel or a bed and breakfast. He will have a report ready for the next board meeting to give everyone an update. Also, possible locations were discussed:

  • Chicago, IL
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Austin, TX
  • Orlando, FL
  • Washington DC
  • Honolulu, HI
  • Perhaps a city where something else may be occurring at the same time

435,535, BE A LEADER – CAMPAIGN UPDATE
It was decided that Egberto would be the liaison with Frank Kirkwood to report on the progress of the campaign to the board. We decided to think of a possible name change for the campaign because it was determined that ‘Be a Leader’ would not be the best choice. Justin is going to research web tools for Nation Builder that could be used to send and track the letters sent to the Legislators, and to keep up with the research done by the volunteers.

NEW BUSINESS

THE 9TH COFFEE PARTY DIRECTOR
It was determined, after reviewing the Bylaws, there is not a time frame for filling the position on the Board. Here is the section in the Bylaws discussing this:

  • Section 6. Filling of Vacancies. Any vacancy in any office shall be filled by a person appointed by the Board of Directors, which person shall otherwise be qualified for such office in accordance with these Bylaws and shall serve for the unexpired term of the office or until his or her successor shall have been duly elected and qualified.We decided to continue the conversation on email to discuss the best course of action before appointing the 9th board member.

We decided to continue the conversation on email to discuss the best course of action before appointing the 9th board member.

CAMERON’S FUNDRAISING LETTER, $5 PER MONTH CAMPAIGN
Cameron went over his ideas for Development Fundraising:

  1. The Cup of Coffee Initiative (5 dollar initiative)
  2. Fundraising the 535 Campaign
  3. Fundraising through the Newsletter
  4. Fundraising Through Mass Media Exposure
  5. Internal Fundraising (from within the party)
  6. Sponsorship for Radio Shows
  7. 501 (c)3 Setup to promote Tax free Donations
  8. Setup the Coffee UnSUPERpac to allow for other super PACS to give to us.
  9. “Who are the Coffee Party?” — Campaign for public exposure locally.
  10. Collaboration with other organizations to make a bonding portal that is reciprocal (fund raising for and with each other)
  11. Congressional Letter campaign
  12. Improv Clubs – Why not organize fundraisers with upright citizens brigade – 50/50 split on proceeds.
  13. Grants need to be 501(c)3 first to begin
  14. Kickstarter/IndiegogoWe went over these ideas and their possibilities. It was determined that each of the board members would rank the 14 ideas by priority and email to Cameron.

COFFEE PARTY NEWSROOM MANAGEMENT OF FACEBOOK PAGE AND CIVILITY
Time was an issue for discussing this. We decided that an email chain would be started to allow the Board of Directors to give direction to the ‘CP Newsroom’ regarding the management of the Facebook Pages with civility in mind. These directions will be discussed in the Monday CP Newsroom conference call.

SCHEDULE NEXT MEETING AND ADJOURN

The next meeting will be held February 27, 2013, at 5pm Pacific (8pm Eastern). We all took 30 seconds to check out, and all mics were opened so we could say goodbye to one another or as we say in Kentucky, “Have a good one!”

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED:

John Cashon

Secretary of the Board of Directors

January 30, 2013

by JKL

CALL TO ORDER AND NOTE OF ATTENDANCE

The Maestro call was called to order by President Eric Byler at about 5pm PST. The attendance of other Directors is noted below. A quorum was present. We all took 30 seconds to check in.

  • P– Eric Byler, President
  • P– Egberto Willies, Vice President, Director for Campaigns and Actions
  • A– Eric Whinery,  Outgoing Treasurer
  • P– Jeanene Louden, Outgoing Secretary, Incoming Treasurer
  • P- John Cashon, Incoming Secretary
  • P– Michael Charney, Director for Strategy and Organizational Design
  • A– Jose Gutierrez, Director At Large
  • P– Frank Kirkwood, Outgoing Director for Pathways to Participation
  • P- DeLann Williams, Incoming Director for Pathways to Participation
  • A– Cameron Kruger, Director for Development
  • P– Christopher Ritter, Outgoing Director for Internet Infrastructure
  • P- Justin Brown, Incoming Director for Internet Infrastructure

 SEATING OF NEW DIRECTORS

Newly elected members of the board were introduced one at a time, each by another member of the board. DeLann, John, and Justin got a chance to say a few words about themselves including what they hope their contribution to Coffee Party USA might be.

We thanked and acknowledged outgoing members (Frank and Chris were present) for their year of contribution to us all. They both gave farewell statements and signed off the call.

CONVERSATION ABOUT THE FUTURE

Our discussion about our future efforts is outlined below in no particular order.

  • Civility in theory and practice.
  • Remove money from politics – in the form of various campaigns.
  • Empower regional actions and “local chapters”.
  • Leverage the narrative with radio and blog posts.
  • “Coffee Party Educators” – a project to promote the teaching of civics in America
  • Trick out Nation Builder, our new web platform.
  • Build fundraising into everything we do. (All board members need to acknowledge their role as fundraisers for the organization.)
  • Make Coffee Party a well known brand.
  • Consider changing our name.
  • Re-activate some dormant work groups.
  • Frank’s project: Be a Leader (“535”) – volunteers in every congressional district, reporting on votes, position statements, and other actions of their delegates. (We discussed at length where the accountability and leadership of this project should reside.)
  • Revise the volunteer strategy – ask for a little bit of a lot of people’s time rather than a lot of a few people’s time. And, recognise that many people contribute “invisible”, indispensable skills that keep the motor running well, but do not appear in the spotlight.

We agreed to come to the next meeting with a list of ideas, informed by the brainstorming we did this evening.

ANNUAL BOARD unRETREAT

Last year we all gathered at a Bed and Breakfast in Chicago for a weekend to hammer things out. Do we want to do it again? (The bylaws say we will have one annual face to face meeting.) We will discuss this further at our next meeting.

MINUTES are posted.

 FINANCIAL REPORT – Jeanene (“Sustainability is a virtue.”)

DEVELOPMENT –  (Cameron is unable to attend tonight and realizes we may need to discuss these items at the next meeting.) Ideas from the most recent Development Work Group meeting for discussion at another time:

  • Sponsorships for Radio shows. (Syndication?)
  • Set-up a 501 (c)3 to allow for tax free donations to delineated activity.
  • Set-up Coffee unSUPERpac.
  • “Who Are the Coffee Party?” Campaign for Public exposure locally.
  • Collaboration for those other organizations, portal for other organizations.

SCHEDULE NEXT MEETING AND ADJOURN

The next meeting will be held February 13, 2013, at 5pm Pacific (8pm Eastern). We all took 30 seconds to check out, and all mics were opened so we could say Aloha to one another. And as Michael said to us all, “Welcome to the deep end of the pool!”

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED:

Jeanene Louden

(Outgoing) Secretary of the Board of Directors

January 16, 2013

by JKL

CALL TO ORDER AND NOTE OF ATTENDANCE
The Maestro call was called to order by President Eric Byler at about 5pm PST. The attendance of other Directors is noted below. A quorum was present. We all took 30 seconds to check in.

  • P – Eric Byler, President
  • P – Egberto Willies, Vice President
  • A – Eric Whinery, Treasurer
  • P – Jeanene Louden, Secretary
  • P – Michael Charney, Strategy and Organizational Design
  • A – Jose Gutierrez, At-Large
  • P – Frank Kirkwood. Pathways to Participation
  • P – Cameron Kruger, Development
  • A – Christopher Ritter, Internet Infrastructure


MINUTES
to the January 2, 2013 meeting are posted.

ELECTIONS ANNOUNCEMENT – Jeanene
The elections have been certified by the Board Development Work Group to be legitimate by virtue of having over 5% participation of the membership as specified in the bylaws. Results:

  • John Cashon – Secretary
  • Justin Brown – Director for Internet Infrastructure
  • DeLann Williams – Director for Pathways to Participation
  • Egberto Willies – Director for Campaigns and Actions

The new Directors will be seated at the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Directors, January 30, 2013. We decided to announce the new board members by radio shows, Facebook post, and a blog post by EricB.

FINANCIAL REPORT –
Jeanene

It was apparent to all of us that we are operating on a tight budget, and this month is too close to call. While we did receive a good response after sending out the January renewal reminder (not included in these numbers), we still have the final Wrangler payment and D&O Insurance due this month. We are approaching the end of our financial rope.

BLUE STATE DIGITAL AND NATION BUILDER
We launched into a lengthy discussion about the cost-to-benefit balance between keeping both BSD and NB up and running simultaneously. The duplication of cost is a significant percentage of our current operating budget, and one of the first reasons to consider the change was the high expense / low reliability of amazon.com as a host. The volunteer staff are now having to maintain two identical databases. The learning curve for NB has been a little ragged, and just one more thing for very busy volunteers to learn. A major hesitation to shutting down BSD is the fear that the transition of sustaining donors from one system to the other will cause us to lose some of those donations. WE NEED A PLAN! Egberto, Cameron, Chris, Justin, Jordan will take this on and report back next meeting.

DEVELOPMENT – Cameron
The Development Work Group is finalizing ideas about Coffee Party branding and identification. Our membership renewal reminders are already more personalized, and a campaign “Who is the Coffee Party?” is brewing (pun intended). The most important shift in our being as an organization is to get that letting people know we need their support is a positive thing. If we don’t tell them, they won’t know.

CITIZENS UNITED ACTIONS – “Frank’s Project”
We will use the Third Anniversary of the Citizens United Decision to launch the BE A LEADER Project. This campaign asks members and followers to “be a leader” and ask the members of their congressional delegation to make their position on the CU decision public on their web sites.

  • Eric will do the focus blog for Monday
  • We will all use our social media tools to drive interest to the campaign (Twitter, scoopit, FB, Google+,Tumblr, personal blogs, etc)
  • Cameron will prepare the linked membership / donation appeals
  • Jeanene will have Frank on LUNCH WITH LOUDEN to promote the project


STRATEGY AND ORGANIZATIONAL DESIGN –
Michael
We decided to defer this item until next meeting.

SCHEDULE NEXT MEETING AND ADJOURN

The next meeting will be held January 30, 2013, at 5pm Pacific (8pm Eastern). We all took 30 seconds to check out, and all mics were opened so we could say Aloha to one another.

Respectfully Submitted:

Jeanene Louden

Secretary of the Board of Directors

PS – It may sound cliche, but has been my great honor and privilege to serve as the first elected Secretary of the Coffee Party Board of Directors. This is my last official meeting in this role: I will be taking on the challenge of serving as Treasurer for 2013, and newly elected Secretary John Cashon will be putting minutes into this blog from here on out. (Maybe I’ll help with the first one or two!)

To the outgoing Directors, Eric Whinery, Frank Kirkwood, and Chris Ritter, I can only say I love you, and mahalo nui loa (thank you so much). To those Directors who stepped down before their terms expired, Kerry Helmer and Craig Dunigan, I extend the same love and appreciation. We have a world to change for the better. Let’s go!

CoffeePartyON! – Jeanene

January 2, 2013

by JKL

CALL TO ORDER AND NOTE OF ATTENDANCE
The Maestro call was called to order by President Eric Byler at about 5pm PST. The attendance of other Directors is noted below. A quorum was present. We all took 30 seconds to check in.

P – Eric Byler, President
P – Egberto Willies, Vice President
A – Eric Whinery, Treasurer
P – Jeanene Louden, Secretary
P – Michael Charney
A – Jose Gutierrez
P – Frank Kirkwood
P – Cameron Kruger
A – Christopher Ritter

DRAFT MINUTES for the December 19, 2012 meeting can be found at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u8mF04NbTbmimHV3XdgIbTEMWMqv9adeB09F0wnZPCo/edit. Since I was not at that meeting, I will not post the minutes until a few board members had done a review and comment.

FINANCIAL REPORT:
As of the last day of December

  • Bank Balance 4,842.66
  • Paypal Balance 1,114.84
  • Other   259.95 (Woodforest)
  • TOTAL 6,217.45
  • Dec Income 3,698
  • Dec Expenses 6,069
  • Difference (2,133)

Things have gotten tricky now that some income arrives via BSD and some via NB.

FUNDRAISING
The 12/30 email blast inviting action on the Fiscal Cliff seems to have impacted donations:

  • 9,102 emails were sent to Congress via our BSD web tool, which was also promoted on FB, Twitter, and NB website
  • 3.1% of 79,679 recipients clicked on a link in the email including:
    • 2,243 clicks on the BSD web tool
    • 45 clicks on BSD donation page

And, $615 in donations so far today in response to our “Become a member to vote in our election” email blast as of 4:08 pm ET!

OVERVIEW OF STRATEGIC AND OPERATIONAL DESIGN PROPOSAL
Michael led us through a guided tour of the organizational structure modifications he and his team (Ezekiel Chang and Dan Aronson) have developed. A year of experience with our current design led him, as the new Director liaison for the Strategy and Organizational Design Work Group, to make this proposal. We will visit this again next meeting.

UPDATE ON BOARD ELECTION
Ballots will be sent out later this week. We had an extensive conversation about a perceived conflict of interest for one of the candidates: he owns a social media business that we use for group conversations and video meetings. Jeanene posted the appropriate section of the Bylaws for our perusal. At initial blush it looks like things are OK because there are no financial arrangements involved.

Jeanene presented a motion from the Board Development Work Group intended to confirm the changes that have been executed by the Board that impact its membership or structure.

Summary Motion for Board of Directors Structure 12/31/2012
WHEREAS

  • Each officer shall hold office for the term for which he or she is elected or appointed and until his or her successor has been elected or appointed and qualified. Any officer may be removed by the two-thirds vote of the Board of Directors whenever in its judgment the best interests of the Organization will be served thereby. The election or appointment of an officer shall not of itself create contract rights; and
  • Eric Whinery has been working as Treasurer in partnership with Secretary Jeanene Louden in anticipation of transferring responsibilities to her at this time.


IT IS RESOLVED that:

  • Eric Whinery is removed with gratitude as Treasurer; and
  • Jeanene Louden is assuming the position of Treasurer for 2013, vacating the position of Secretary; and
  • the position of Secretary will be open for election for the term 2013-14; and
  • These changes are illustrated in the Table below: Terms of Directors, 2013; and
  • These changes amend “Section 3. Term. (a) The First Board” in the Bylaws as follows:

Section 3. Term. (a) The first Board of Directors of the Organization shall consist of those persons named in the Articles of Incorporation or other persons who have been duly appointed as directors under the preceding Bylaws to fill any vacancy. Thereafter, the members shall elect directors as provided in section 4 of this Article IV, each director to hold office for a term of two years, beginning on January 1 of the calendar year, or until his or her successor has been duly elected and qualified; provided that, of the directors elected in calendar year 2011 for the term beginning in January 2012, the President/Director, Secretary/Director Treasurer/Director, and three additional directors so designated shall each serve a term of two years; and the Treasurer/Director, Secretary/Director and the remaining three directors shall each serve a term of one year, or until his or her successor has been duly elected and qualified.

Terms of Directors, 2013

POSITION TERM WORK GROUP NAME COMMENTS
President 2013 Editorial Board Eric Byler next term: 2014-15
Secretary 2013-14 Board   Development Candidate: John Cashon
Treasurer 2013 Legal and Accounting Jeanene Louden next term: 2014-15
Position 4 2013-14 Internet Infrastructure Candidate: Justin Brown
Position 5 2013-14 Pathways to Participation Candidate:  DeLann Williams
Position 6 2013-14 Campaigns & Actions Candidates:
Dan Aronson and Egberto Willies
Position 7 2013 Membership, Development & Fundraising Cameron Kruger next term: 2014-15
At Large 8 2013 Jose Gutierrez next term: 2014-2015
At Large 9 2013 Strategy & Org Design Michael Charney next term: 2014-15

The motion was made by Jeanene, seconded by Egberto and passed: 7 yes, 0 no, 0 abstain, and 2 not present (Eric W and Jose).

CITIZENS UNITED ANNIVERSARY ACTIONS
Frank outlined his proposal for the 3rd Anniversary of the Citizens United Decision. He will provide specifics between meetings. We will decide on this action at the next meeting.

Public Citizen is spearheading the Money Out/Voters In Day of Action. EricB is contact for this effort. Eric gave an update on our SPEAK OUT Campaign to assist members and followers in contacting their state and federal elected officials about the need to reverse the Citizens United Decision.

DEVELOPMENT
Cameron led a Development discussion focusing on issues of:

  • cross branding both For Profit and Nonprofit Entities.
  • needing approval to contact prospects, and draw up a proposal for presentation to The Civilized Partner Prospects. Need organizational support from Volunteers and Board.
  • Fundraising Cookie Cutter Process Analysis from the previous BSD Emailer.
  • Voter File Demo – Election Center Nationbuilder description

ANNABEL PARK/COFFEE PARTY COLLABORATION We discussed the exciting collaboration between Coffee Party and EricB and Annabel Park’s Story of America project. It is great to have Annabel back as an active contributor to our efforts.

SCHEDULE NEXT MEETING AND ADJOURN
The next meeting will be held December 19, 2012 at 5pm Pacific (8pm Eastern). We all took 30 seconds to check out, and all mics were opened so we could say Aloha to one another.

Respectfully Submitted:
Jeanene Louden
Secretary of the Board of Directors

December 19. 2012

by JKL

Pending. 

December 5, 2012

by JKL


CALL TO ORDER AND NOTE OF ATTENDANCE
The Maestro call was called to order by President Eric Byler at about 5pm PST. Other Directors’ attendance is noted below. We all took 30 seconds to check in.

P – Eric Byler, President
P – Egberto Willies, Vice President
A – Eric Whinery, Treasurer
P – Jeanene Louden, Secretary
P – Michael Charney
A – Jose Gutierrez
P – Frank Kirkwood
P – Cameron Kruger
P – Christopher Ritter

CONGRATULATIONS
to new Director Michael Charney. This is his first official meeting.

MINUTES for the November 19, 2012 meeting can be found at our minutes blog: http://coffeepartyboardminutes.wordpress.com/


FINANCIAL REPORT: As of the last day of November

  • Bank Balance 5,574
  • Paypal Balance   955
  • Nov Expenses 4,393 (corrected)
  • Nov Income 3,698
  • Ending Balance 5,834

BOARD DEVELOPMENT WORK GROUP
The BDWG submitted its request that we approve the Board Election Vetting Committee members for the 2012 election:  

  • Four from the BDWG: Lynda Park, Jeanene Louden, Barb Bull, and Linda Perrealt; and
  • Two outside of BD WG or Board: Vince Lamb and Steve Mantz.

Approval was moved by Michael, seconded by Egberto, and passed: 7 yes, 0 no, 0 abstain, 2 not present (Jose and EricW)

NATIONBUILDER LAUNCH
Our transition to the new website/platform (coffeepartyusa.nationbuilder.com) is Monday, with our dress rehearsal Friday. We all agreed to be checking our links and cross checking access to BSD, making the needed changes to switch to NB. We discussed volunteer forms, fundraising/membership links, and invitations to bloggers to post on the new site. Michael offered to create a new anchor post for all scoop.it curators. Other possible breakdowns were discussed and assignments made. We hope to be fully functional (shakedown completed) by the first of January.

NEWSLETTER
We lost our newsletter when we lost our paid staff. We agreed that it is missed and that we should relaunch the newsletter should happen after the successful transition to NationBuilder. We appointed Michael and Egberto co-editors (by consensus). Chris and Cameron were similarly recruited to create the newsletter template in NationBuilder. Jessica will recruit a team of volunteers to serve as newsletter staff.

CITIZENS UNITED 3RD ANNIVERSARY ACTION
The third anniversary of the Citizens United Decision is January 21, 2013, We all agreed that we need to play a role in marking the date. The question is, should we collaborate or initiate?  We are creating a research team of volunteers headed by Dan Aaronson to reach out to and reach out to other organizations. Mike Potters (video contest) is on the top of the list of recruits.

PROMOTED POSTS
We discussed a suggestion that money be designated to experiment with Facebook Promoted Posts. Currently, posts reach only people who have been interacting with our page lately.  By using promoted posts, we can get to people who haven’t looked at our page in a while, and get them to like or share, and then, theoretically, our posts will reach them again. We tabled the idea until fundraising improves.

STORY OF AMERICA REQUEST
Coffee Party Co-founder Annabel Park has requested permission to send an email blast to our database to announce launch of an Indie Go Go crowdfunding campaign to raise money for the  Story of America project.  Co-founder Eric Byler helping with this project, abstaining from vote.

Story of America plans a road trip that will bring Annabel and Eric B to different parts of the country. If other CP leaders become part of Story of America either as writers, filmmakers, or subjects of stories, this could be a good way to become less virtual and more face-to-face. Annabel has posted Story of America videos to FB page.  Eric has retweeted on Twitter.  Email blast is different because we have only so many blasts we can do without annoying people, causing them to unsubscribe.

We agreed to seek a further conversation with Annabel about our relationship (Coffee Party and our Founder) and what we can offer based upon the relationship we agree upon. Jeanene will lead the team to talk to Annabel. Timeframe: ASAP

SCHEDULE NEXT MEETING AND ADJOURN
The next meeting will be held December 19, 2012 at 5pm Pacific (8pm Eastern). We all took 30 seconds to check out, and all mics were opened so we could say Aloha to one another.

Respectfully Submitted:
Jeanene Louden
Secretary of the Board of Directors

 

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.